MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials which have attracted much attention lately, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in lots of fields. This is a detailed introduction to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What exactly is MAX material?
MAX phase material is a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material consisting of M, A, X elements in the periodic table, collectively called “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the key group elements, such as aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is made up of M, A, X, three of the aspects of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they are widely used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding and other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is a new form of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements using the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers to the transition metal, A means the main-group elements, and X refers to the aspects of C and N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained by the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX phases are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made from carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials make sure they are have a variety of applications in structural materials. For example, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which can be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials will also be found in functional materials. For instance, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and can be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. In addition, some MAX materials also have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties may be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be found in energy materials. For example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which bring a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What Exactly are MXene materials?
MXene materials certainly are a new type of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can communicate with more functional atoms and molecules, and a high specific surface, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually range from the etching treatment of the MAX phase and also the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties including electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics can be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials certainly are a new kind of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, such as high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the ability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Uses of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and are popular in energy storage and conversion. As an example, MXene materials can be used electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Additionally, MXene materials could also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the action and stability from the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be utilized in electromagnetic protection. As an example, MXene materials can be used as electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, along with other applications in electronic products and personal protection, enhancing the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. For example, MXene materials can be used as gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which can realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. Furthermore, MXene materials can also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics and other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. In the future, with all the continuous progress of science and technology and also the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved. These aspects may become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Down the road, new preparation technologies and techniques may be further explored to understand a much more efficient, energy-saving and environmentally friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, however, there is still room for additional optimization. Down the road, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other aspects of the material can be studied and improved thorough to improve the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials happen to be popular in numerous fields, but there are still many potential application areas to become explored. Down the road, they can be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection and other fields.
In conclusion, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in many fields. With all the continuous progress of science and technology as well as the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.